Sunday, January 9, 2011

Martin Luther Movie

Wow! I just finished watching the 2002 edition of the 1945 film Martin Luther, published by the Lutheran Film Associates. The Film chronicles Luther's life from his early days as an Augustinian monk to the start of the Protestant Reformation in Augsburg.

Aside from his well-known "95 Theses", using the linguistic training from the Augustinian Monastery, he translated the Bible into German, making it possible for the average citizen to hold in his hands the Word of God, and the ability to understand it. The movie goes on to chronicle Luther's trial at the City of Worms, and the eventual birth of the protestant faiths.

What struck me most was the portrayal of Luther in the Diet of Worms, the council in which he was to recant his "Heresy", his writings to the council and the papacy. He flatly refused to do so. It was refreshing to see a man so firmly bound in his faith in Jesus Christ that he would rather spend the rest of his life as an outlaw than change his thinking to go with the crowd, and bend to societal norms.

Father in heaven, please be with me as I further work to understand your Word, watch over me as I continue to seek out your will in my life and in the lives of those I am in contact with. I ask this in the matchless and precious name of Your Son, my Savior, Jesus. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment